Are The Bedtime Struggles Over?!?!?

I think so, or do I hope so…no I think so…well…I hope so.

Yes indecisive it is, as most of you know when it comes to kids! But this being said, I do believe we have turned the corner when it comes to our nightly bedtime struggles. Chad and I have taken turns over the last month with putting the girls to bed. This meant, every other night we would each sit in the room for 15-30 minutes until they fell asleep. This was working well, but we all knew that we could not continue to sit in their room until they were asleep.

One night we both tucked them in and it was my turn to sit in the room…I sat there for about 20 minutes, which at that point I thought they were asleep. I quietly left the room, within 5 minutes of me leaving, we hear the door open and two little girls giggling. I walked over to the door and with HUGE smiles on their faces both girls say “hi Mommy.” At this point I was a bit irritated…it was bedtime and they needed to learn to STAY in bed.

I walked them both back to their bed, and in a very firm voice explained that they needed to stay in bed and go to sleep. Of course they both agreed…but 5 minutes later they were out of bed. As I walked them back to bed, I thought…what if I took their most precious items away. That being Kendall’s blanky and Sydney’s puppy…not a bad idea. I got them all tucked in bed, then grab the blanky and the puppy and left the room. Of course they both cried, no actually screamed. After about 2 minutes of listening to this, which as a Mother is the worst sound EVER, I brought back their items. I explained that if they don’t stay in bed and go to sleep they don’t get to have their special items. To my amazement…it worked!!!

Since this day, each night when we tuck them in we kindly remind them they need to go to bed. If they get out of bed, then we will take their items away. And if they are asked…will you go to sleep or does Mommy and Daddy need to take away your blanky or puppy (depending on who I am talking to), they both exclaim…"no night night."

They’ve tested us once since. Which meant we had to remove the blanky and puppy from their room…again for about 2 minutes. When the items were returned, they quietly settled into bed and stayed in bed.

Let’s just hope this method continues to work…for our sake…and theirs!

No comments: