Kidney Donation...A Success!!!

Yup that's right...it's a success!!!

I'm here to tell you that if I had to go back and do this again, I would in a second. A few days of a pain that quickly disappears to see someone get their life back, well there is no way to describe the feelings that I have. All I can truly say is...I know I did the right thing.

April 9, 2009, quickly approached. There was much to do and a little stress before the big day. We arrived at the hospital at 530am and were quickly waiting in pre-op to be wheeled down to surgery.

Before I knew it I was staring up at the ceiling of the surgical room. I had a mask put over me and the next thing I knew I was lying in the recovery room. Wow, that was nice nap, was all I could think. First words out of my mouth...how is Angie doing? I was told the kidney started working immediately and they were just finishing up with her. GOOD!!!

I was then moved to my room where I was reunited with my husband and mother.

Friday morning I was helped to my feet and took a little walk. I'd say I did pretty well. Later that same day, I walked to Angie so we could see each other.

Saturday was the big day, I was going home. We did have a little issue before my discharge. I had 2 tiny tubes, about the size of 2 pencil leads, in me. These tubes were supplying antibiotic to the incisions to prevent infection. When removing the tubes, one of the tips broke off inside me. The surgeon told me it would be no big deal and I would be fine. So he sent me on my way. Later that day he called asking me to come in on Monday so we could do a CT scan to see where the tube was. On Monday my dad and I headed back up and during a 2 hour period, the tube could not be found. During the surgery they pump a lot of air into me, the air was still there on Monday and the CT scan cannot see through air. The decision to leave the tube is made. So, I guess you give a kidney and you get a tube. What a reward!!! I will have the hospital put in writing that if later in life the tube causes problems, they will be responsible to remove it at their cost. Hopefully this will not happen...you do hear of stories where things are left in the body, just never thought it would be me.
Today is Monday April 20, 2009...almost 2 weeks post surgery. I'm up and about, moving all over the place. My incisions no longer hurt and my movement is great. The only pain I do have on occasion is a sore back. I notice this mostly at night when I sleep and will go between the bed and recliner. But that pain too shall pass. I plan to return to work this Thursday, the 23rd, and hopefully get back to a some what normal routine.
Thanks to my entire family for all their help during the recovery process. Chad has really stepped up to the plate and taken a lot on with the girls. Without my dad's help last week, we'd be pulling out our hair. Not only did he help with the girls, but he kept me busy and entertained. It's been a while since he has had to care for his daughter...he did a GREAT job. Thanks dad! And going forward, Chad's mom will help us on a few weekends. And our new roommate, my mom, will be with us for a few weeks. Thanks to both of you for all your help.
The girls are doing great. Kendall has become a huge daddy's girls since the surgery. Sydney, well she is just Sydney. You can definitely tell they knew something was going on, but had no idea what. I have noticed they don't come to me as much. I don't if it's because I can't lift or if they just know mommy is healing. It hurts a little, but in time it will be back to normal.
To sum up this long Blog. Angie and I are doing great. We both feel wonderful and are healing quickly. Someone asked today, does it feel any different only having one kidney. No, I feel like the same old Jodi. But I bet Angie feels like a whole new person. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers...they were definitely answered!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yea!! So glad to hear you are doing well and the surgery was a success!!!