It's Thursday afternoon at 4pm. I'm on the bus on my way home from work. My phone goes off, but I don't know it until the last ring. I see the girl's school listed...wait to see if they leave a voicemail. As I am waiting, Chad calls and says "are you on your way home?" I indicate yes and ask why...when he informs me that Kendall fell in the playground on Summer Adventures and is hurt.
I make my way to the school and find the girls waiting with a teacher for me. Kendall is crying (which hardly happens as she is the kid that stands up after a fall and says, I'm ok). When I ask her to move her ice pack...I see the LARGE lump on her forearm. I instantly knew...this is not going to be good.
We make our say to urgent care where they x-ray the damage and send us on our way to Children's in Mpls...where we are told, yup it's a fracture and she needs a cast.
Kendall is put under light sedation while they correct her bone and cast her. After, we wait as she slowly comes out of sedation. The poor child is hyperventilating and throwing up. After we get her to calm down, she sleeps a good 1.5 hours. Where she wakes every so often then drifts back to sleep. At midnight we are finally released to head home as she is now alert.
She is a trooper. Yes there were tears, but not many. She handled the pain, the sickness and everything else like a champ. She had her first bath in this picture and even wears a smile. During her bath she tells me how she was seeing 10 of me after sedation and I had 10 eyes and 5 noses. I can only imagine what she felt and saw whiling waking up. But she says it all with a smile and laughs!
This will be one long summer. No water, which is hard when you have a lake place and well it's summer! Hoping the large cast is for a short period, but they are saying 4-6 weeks. Then it's on to a short cast (which we may be able to get waterproof), then a splint. Pretty much...she will be in this cast all summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment