Unexpected Hard Ball...

Some times life throws you a hard ball. You can either stand there and let
it hit you...or...jump out of the way.

Not sure if you'd call this a "hard ball" situation...but for us it was, as
it dealt with the two most precious things in our lives, our daughters.

Kendall and Sydney have been going to our current daycare provider since
they were infants. They have fallen in love with her and LOVE going to her
house each work day. Our provider just informed us that she would be
shutting the doors at the end of the month. I was stunned, shocked, had no
words. It was not an easy decision by far on her part and as she told me
she did all she could to hold back the tears. My heart went out to her.

With this told to me on 9/8/2010, and daycare closing on 10/1/2010...I had
to move quickly. That very same night I contacted 3 centers, a montessori
and 3 home day care providers. We learned quickly that the centers and
montessori's were way out of our price range...so I focused in on the home
daycares that offered a preschool curriculum.

After leaving a couple voicemails and waiting half a day (this was a lot
for me...when I set my mind on getting something completed, I get it
completed)...I finally received a call back from the one I really wanted to
hear from. She is a licensed teacher that taught preschool, kindergarten,
and first grade. When her son was ready for preschool, they realized they
could not afford to send their son to preschool nor could they bring him
there each day and pick him up...what many of us run into. So, she decided
to open a home daycare/preschool...that focused on preschool. She has a
very structured day and lots of learning time. She also has an assistant,
which I think is great.

The girls and I stopped by that very same day on our way home. We had a
chance to meet some of the other kids and about 5 parents. I got to talk
to the parents and found that they love it there. Most of them have had
kids there before, but they have moved on to school. What I really like
was seeing the older kids, who have gone on to school, run up to her and
give her a big hug...they obviously loved her. All the parents said that
their kids were ready for Kindergarten and the preschool aspect was more
than they expected.

She had 2 other interviews set up later in the week and she only had two
spots available. Time was NOT on my side, but with all that I saw my gut
said go for it...so I enrolled the girls.

It will be sad and difficult to say goodbye to our current provider.
Things DO happen for a reason and maybe this is what was meant to happen.
The girls are getting to an age where they need a more structured day with
a preschool curriculum. This place will give us everything we need for
their growth.

No comments: