Not Just an Ordinary Sunday

The day started off like any other day, when the girls woke at 630am. Daddy was getting ready to leave for the Viking/Packer game. I, along with Grandpa Mike and Grandma Elaine who were in town for the weekend, were getting the girls up for the day. Kendall was her usual fun loving self, full of smiles and getting into everything. Sydney on the other hand was a bit sluggish and just wanted to cuddle. She’d had a temperature since Thursday and had been cuddly and a bit whining here and there as well. But she was eating and for the most part sleeping fairly well. She’d get up and play here and there, but then take a break to cuddle. We thought it was a sign of teething as both girls have had teeth coming in recently.

On Sunday she didn’t seem to have much interest in playing at all, but did eat well. As the morning progressed I noticed that when she turned to her left that she turned her entire body, as if her neck was stiff. I asked my dad and Elaine if they noticed it as well, and they did. They both also indicated she felt warm and was obviously not feeling 100%. After they left I just kept a close eye on Sydney. And as the morning went on, she seemed to get more whining and cry much more. Every time she seemed to move or I moved her, she’d cry in pain. At one point I had her sitting on my lap and decided to rub her neck, since she seemed to have a stiff neck. When doing this I felt a large lump, about an inch long, on her right side. And when I put pressure on it, she would scream in pain. This is when I started to get worried. I ended up giving her some more Tylenol, and giving them lunch, then laid them both down for a nap.

I wanted to see what the internet said with her symptoms, and what were the first 2 things that popped up…Cancer and Meningitis. Now I was really nervous. I sat there for a bit thinking, should I call the Emergency Nurse or not? Am I over thinking this? Then after some thinking, I went with my gut and called the nurse. They said she didn’t have a temperature that I should be super worried about, but didn’t like the sound of the lump on her neck along with the stiffness. They told me to take her in today to the ER and have her checked out by a Pediatric Doctor.

So here I’m sitting at home along with both girls sleeping. I call Chad, so is at the game, no answer. Leave him a message to call me immediately. He gets back to me and says I’m on my way home. But here’s the dilemma…he doesn’t have the keys as our friends who are sitting in a different section have them and he cannot get a hold of them. But then he starts thinking that he probably shouldn’t drive. So he decides he needs to take the train to the Mall of America and have me pick him up from there. Luckily my mom is sitting next to him and says, let’s go. So they both take off, leaving a message with our friends that they had to leave and take Sydney to the ER. I’m sure this was not a pleasant message for them to hear.

I then wake the girls up and load them into the car and start heading up to the Mall of America to pick them up. I’m on 35E and all of a sudden I see red lights flashing behind me. Yup, on top of it all, I’m getting pulled over. The trooper walks over to the car and says, do you know how fast you were going. I immediately start crying, Kendall is yelling at me for waking her up (yeah she has started talking back to us already), Sydney is crying because she doesn’t feel well and the trooper just looks at me. I proceed to say, I need to get my baby to the ER, she has a high temp, but I need to pick my husband up and I’m just rambling. He asks for my license, and registration, takes some notes and tells me to watch the speed and get her to the ER. What a GREAT trooper!!!

Fast forward, we are at the ER. They start poking and prodding Sydney. They want to test her for everything…strep, white blood count, cancer, you name. The poor girl cried so much and was burning up. They finally give her a high dose of Motrin, which knocked her out and she took a little nap as I held her.

Three hours later, the doctor finally came in. All her test came back normal and it was determined she had a viral infection in her Lymphoid, which was inflamed. Both of our hearts did stop when he indicated they did test for Leukemia. This is what Chad’s dad passed away from. We were happy to find out that she is okay. Sydney was too as she reached out for the doctor at one point to shake his hand. She never does this, as she has a fear of strangers. We were tired but relieved.

We were sent home with instructions to give her Tylenol and Motrin. In a few days I’m to go to our Pediatrician to have the lump looked at to make sure it is decreasing in size.

On another note, it was a good thing that Grandma Shelley came with us. She kept Kendall occupied in the waiting room. From what we hear, she was entertaining all the people there and was being a very good sport about the whole thing! Thanks Kendall and Grandma Shelley.
What a day…you think it’s going to be a nice calm day at home with the girls and then all of this happens. We are just happy that she is okay. And I hope we never have to visit an ER again!!!

No comments: